Saturday, February 16, 2008

WHEW! WHAT A WEEK!!!!

Well we have had a busy week. It all started on Sunday morning, Kaiden was not feeling well, he said he had a real bad headache, so I gave him some Tylenol and we headed off to church. I was keeping a close eye on him, cause he generally does not complain about not feeloing good, so I knew it was a real bad headeache. About 15 minutes after being there, I saw him begin to lay down across the behind him, and he just looked miserable, and he wanted to sit with me and not his friends, which is VERY odd:) And I felt his head and he felt very warm, and I asked him how he was doing and he said his stomach was now hurting, so I took him and Will(as he had also been pulling at his ears again:( ), leaving the other kids with Thom, and we went home. I put both boys down for a nap and they both slept for a few hours. Kaiden woke up feeling 'okay', so I kinda pushed all foreboding thoughts aside and attributed his earlier sickness to lack of sleep that night. But as the evening progressed, he began to feel bad again. My concern was the abdominal pains he was having, not naseau, but pain. And then he bacame naseauted, and his fever shot up to 103. So I packed him up, and took him into St. George to see the doctor, I also took Will as he was still pulling at his ears pretty good and was also developing a fever, and Thom stayed home with the girls. I had to drive into St. George because our clinic here is closed on Sundays. I got to the Instacare, and there was a 2 hour wait, but they referred me to a new night time pediactric clinic in town. I went over there, and there wait was only 1 hour, WAHOO!!:) So we waited and waited, most of this time Kaiden spent in the bathroom throwing up:( So the throwing up, abdominal pains, and fever, I was thinking appendicitis. We finally got called back and she checked Will out first and he of course has a double ear infection:( my poor baby. Then she began to check out Kaiden, and could not figure out what was wrong with him. She ran test after test on him, one of which was a strep test(you know where they swab your throat), well my poor kid was already naseauted, so when she swabed him....you get it:) And after all these, she could not figure out what was wrong with him. She assumed it was a nasty viral infection that is going around that acts as the flu, and is absolutely horrible. So she sent us on our way, saying that if anything intensifies to get him in, as it may be leading up to an appendicitis. So I am now keeping a real close eye on him, cause we live 30 minutes from the hospital and that would be a real stressful drive, if his appendis ruptures. So the next morning, he still feels and looks horrible, so he stayed home from school with me. Will started his 500 millionth round of anitbioditics. I spent the day taking care of my two sick babies, and Thom of course went out of town. But by that evening Kaiden was back on the floor in the bathroom throwing up and his temperature had spiked to 104. So thinking about the doctor telling me, if his fever gets bad again or things seem to take a bad turn, get him back him. I called my mom to come watch the kids(they only live 3 miles from us), and I took him into the clinic that is 1 mile from our house instead of driving all the way into St. George. And again, test after test, with no results:( Poor kid! But this time the doctor put him on antibiotics, hoping to help him feel better, but still not knowing what is wrong with him. Our thoughts now are mono, as it is going around real good down here, and one of his friends' older brothers has it, I spoke to his mom, and they have been going through the same thing, so we are assuming it is mono. But the antibiodics seem to be helping him, and he is now feeling 'excellent'.
But....Thom's kidney stones are acting up again, Nic got an ear infection, Kayla and Ry seem to be developing symptpoms similar to Kaidens, and I go tthe flu, so with Will's double ear infection, we are all just tore up from the floor up! So appernatly the flu shot that I got, and got all of my kids, is not working. I was reading an article on line yesterday and apparnetly the scientists who made the flu shot predicted the wonrg flu strain, so we are all getting it anyway:( I have been miserable, aching, fever, not being able to breathe, coughing, ACHING! And I spent most of Valentine's day curled up in bed.
But the kids did get some things. I went to Lin's to get my prescription filled and while I was there I picked up some balloons and cookies with their names on them.

Will's favorite thing was the balloon...
Until we opened up the cookie for him:)
He loved that part!


Then grandma and grandpa came over to give the kids there gifts from them. And grandpa played with Will alot, and these are Will's first smiles in a week:(


Today is Saturday and I think things are going well for us, I still ache, and my bosy feels like it is sun burned from the fever, but I finally slept last night for the first time all week:) We have all been on antibiotics for a few days now. And things are beginning to settle down for us. I think we may survive:), it was iffy there for awhile.





2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Man, you guys are having a heck of a time with the illnesses this year! Hope this is the end of it for you.

Bradshaw Adventures said...

Tis the season of always being sick!! We had the flu at are house all week. Hopefully their is an end in sight for us all!! By the way - our family is catching up to yours quickly-we just found out we are having twins! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!