Monday, May 19, 2008

A BIG WEEKEND IN THE TOBIN FAMILY!

Well my baby made some mile stone jumps into toddler/big boy hood. He went from his high chair...

To a booster chair
And from his crib...
To his big boy toddler bed.
He LOVES it!!!!!
But it took me two hours to convince him to stay in bed and go to sleep...
But once he did what a sweet boy!!!!
Kaiden had been having some bad headaches and nausea, they were coming a few times a month, but in the last month or two they have increased to 3-4 times a week, so I knew I had to get him into the doctor, thinking it was just migraines, I took him to the doctor to have him diagnosed and given some medication to help him. But when we got to the doctor, with my previous health issues, his doctor decided to be safe than sorry, and he ordered a MRI and a MRA.
The doctor called that evening and left a message on the machine cause we were out, and said that his MRI turned out perfect, but there was something he needed to talk to me about, but he would not leave a message like that on a machine. So I FREAKED OUT!!! Then I began calling first thing the following morning(this would be Thursday by now), but it was his day off, so he finally got a hold of me on Friday afternoon, so I had no idea what was going on with my son from Wednesday night to Friday afternoon, just a message from his doctor saying he had to talk to me, but could not leave a message like that on a machine. So you would be freaked out also! And then he begins the conversation with "Well, I called and spoke with Dr. Davis the neurologist from Primary Children's Hospital"( Primary Children's Medical Center is the top pediatric center serving five states in the Intermountain West - Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada and Montana.) So that started the conversation off with a bang for me! I started panicking, thinking it COULD NOT be that bad! Turns out he only has a Chiari ("kee-are-ee") malformation. "The Chiari malformation is a disorder of the brain where the cerebellum is herniated through the foramen magnum and into the spinal canal. The foramen magnum is the hole in your skull that the brainstem and spinal cord exit. This herniation causes two things to happen: first, symptoms result as the herniated cerebellum pushes against the brainstem. Second, the flow of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is disturbed and a syrinx, or syringomyelia may form (but not always). Remember that the CSF is what keeps your brain and spinal cord "buoyant" and serves as a cushion that protects them from unexpected trauma." you can see some of it in the x-ray(no this is not Kaiden's this is a Google image search) The doctor just a wanted us to be aware of this malformation, but as he has no symptoms now it is considered an A-typical malformation. But if he does ever develop symptoms then surgery will be required to widen 'something', I am not sure of what, but the doctor knows:). But his MRI, was PERFECT, all arteries were dilated and showed NO signs of weakening, PTL! So we can only assume that he has migraines, and treat him as such. According to the doctor he should be able to live a normal healthy life:):):):)

And Thom is FEELING BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We actually went out this weekend and played for the first time in over a month! And he went back to work today for the first time in as long. We are so excited that he is finally coming out of this!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure seem to have one scare after another after another, don't you! But I am sure glad that things are getting better and hopefully this will be your last scare for awhile.

Bradshaw Adventures said...

Good Grief Jenn-never a dull moment. Glad every things seems to be okay although next time in english please-so many big words!! Glad Thom is doing better and Will is sooo big and we have never even met him!! Sounds like you all need a vacation-there is plenty of room at my house for all of you!

Carolyn said...

Oh my goodness! That must have been so terrifying to have to wait that long to find out! I'm glad that it seems to be not so big of a deal. I hope his migraines improve.