Wednesday, December 12, 2007

MY POOR POOH BEAR

Well my poor little Pooh Bear has been real sick for the past 2 months, over 2 months actually. I have been to doctor after doctor with him, and trips to the ER and Instacares. He has had fevers around 104 and numerous double ear infections. After medication after medication and nothing working, I FINALLY got him in to see his pediatrician (see, he is so good, and popular, and WAY busy, that it takes months to get into him). And his pediatrician was so mad, he can not believe everything that has gone on the past two months. And he made me promise never to let this happen to him again, if need be call his office and demand to speak to him or get a message to him, so he can take care of the kids for me. So his ears are SO BAD, he has 'glue ear'(a jello-y like substance has developed in his ear) now that he is on this really strong antibiotic and the doctor says that if they are not cleared up by the day after Christmas(which he already scheduled me and appointment for) then we would schedule him for surgery. Now Nick had tubes put in his ears twice, but Will is so much smaller, he will only be 9 months old. I am stressed out about it. But all the doctors have been telling me for 2 months now that he cannot hear due to these infections(which I knew), but they had also told me that it will permanently affect his hearing(he is already struggling). But his pediatrician told me that we have caught it and will have it fixed early enough that it WILL NOT affect his long term hearing and he is still young enough that he will be able to rebound from this. THANK THE LORD!!!!!!!!! So we have had a really rough few weeks, but I think we are on the upward swing of things:)

2 comments:

Beautiful Disaster said...

Hey girl... don't worry Brook was little when she got tubes the first time too, before a year and then emma's ginormous surgery at a year. dr's are crazy awesome good now a days! he will be great and we will be praying. brook goes in for a little surgery tomorrow at 10am. let's have our kids be healthy now Lord, IN JESUS name!!! love ya guys!!!

Carolyn said...

Ear infections are the worst! A product that I absolutely LOVE for ear infections is garlic willow ear oil. You can get it at health food stores and herb/natural medicine places. I used it on my kids and I knew it worked because their ear infections would be gone after a couple days. Then I got an ear infection myself and decided to treat my ear infection at home. You warm it up first in a cup of warm water, test it to make sure it isn't too hot, and drop a few drops in your ears. It is instantly soothing, and the garlic has healing properties that helps the ear infection to heal quickly. Here's what we use: http://www.revolutionhealthstore.com/qxp34614_333181_sespider/herbs_for_kids/willow__garlic_ear_oil.htm
(hopefully the link will work, if not, cut and paste)
But don't use them on a child with ear tubes! Dave has tubes and I used the drops on his ears, and they made his ears burn.

Another thing that has worked for me/my kids for ear infection pain is a warm compress against the offending ear. Also with some tylenol. Hope your little guy feels better soon! And I'm praying that he doesn't need tubes! The thought of surgery, even necessary, minor day surgery, is terrifying for a mother. I've been told by two different doctors that my 3 year old needs her tonsils removed and I'm considering it, but I'm extremely apprehensive. I might wait another year or two before we do it!