Friday, May 29, 2009

UPDATE ON WILLIAM

Well yesterday Pooh had his Sedated ABR. It was interesting to say the least! They let us stay in the room with him while the did the test, which I liked, and luckily they warned us before they gave him the medication, that sedated him, that was freaky! His eyes stared twitching and rolling around and back and then he just went limp, really scary! Not something you want to see happen to your baby! But Thom was holding him and I was doing paperwork, and my friend was talking to me(she is an occupational therapist in the NICU, so she was working that day, and came down to 'take care of me'), so I just kinda tried to ignore it. But once they got started he just looked like he was sleeping. He was sick, OF COURSE! So they had to suction his throat a couple times, but other than that he did well. The test lasted all of 15 minutes. And they said he would wake up in about 5 or 10 minutes. So i am waiting, and WAITING. After 20 the nurse watching him, says, well try to wake him up now, so I start to try to wake him up. He will not wake up! I am like umm...is he okay, and they are all like yeah he is fine! But he will not wake up! FINALLY an hour and a half later, after Thom rubs a cold cloth on his face, he woke up. He was "drunk" for about an hour or so afterward, and awfully cranky the rest of the day, but otherwise no ill effects. It was determined that he had 'moderate' hearing loss in his right ear. But it is thought that with another set of tubes and speech therapy he will be good as new, and should lead a normal life, and will be like all the other kids by Kindergarten or 1st grade, developmentally. So I have calls in to his pediatrician, his ENT, and a speech therapist. So hopefully by next week, we will have a plan of action in effect to start bring him developmentally up to date. That is all for now!



Also, I want to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!! to all the new Nadeau babies! Wow there are a LOT of new little ones coming into this family, four at least, wow, I feel so left out! Maybe we should get working on it:-) JK

2 comments:

Blonde African Americans said...

Poor baby, I hope this works and he never has to go under a knife ever again.-Raphael

Ashlee said...

Glad to hear that all is well. I would have freaked out too (if my baby wouldn't wake up)!